Sunday, February 20, 2011

Entry #73

Guess I lied, I can update now. I’m a bit tired. I woke up at 7 A.M., swam at the meet from 8 to 11-ish, came back for finals from 4 P.M. to 6, and drove home, which took about an hour and a half.

I thought I would be safe while we were gone. I thought all the worries would be washed away once we left yesterday. And I was right, for a while. We woke up even earlier yesterday, around 5:30 A.M. so we could prepare food and drive to the meet from home. So I took a nap for an hour in the car.

It was almost completely dark when we left, and very foggy. I just stood outside in the dark, letting it wash around me. The moon and a few stars were out, but it was on the brink of dawn, so they were fading fast. It was so peaceful. I could just feel my body relaxing. As soon as I was in the car I slept like a baby. Just put my head down, and bam, I was asleep.

When I woke up, it was bright out. I looked out the window, and I could see we were in the City. So we were pretty near the pool where the meet was being held. I don’t think my parents heard me yawn and stretch, they were discussing something quietly in the front.

We slowed to a stop at a stoplight, and I just leaned my head against the window and stared out. Right away, he caught my eye. It was 7 A.M. in a not-so-nice place in the Bronx, and the sidewalk down the block was deserted. Except for him. Locust.

He was just standing next to the wall. Not leaning against it, nothing. Just standing on the sidewalk. A little trash bag blew by him and fluttered down the street. Again, I could just sense he was looking at me—only me, not anyone else in the car. Just me. And I was too far to see his head, so I couldn’t have known who he was looking at. Then again, I don’t think he has eyes.

I hunched down in the seat until we had gone past the stoplight. I tried to forget about him, but I just couldn’t. My times in the races were pretty bad yesterday. I think seeing Locust had something to do with it.

Today was fine. Didn’t think of him, didn’t see him. Swam well. But now I know he can follow me wherever he wants to. I knew that already, but now I’m sure. There’s no way to get away from him. I just have to go straight through him. :)

R.C.

2 comments:

  1. Reilly, you know how much I hate emoticons in general, right? I think I mentioned that in a comment before. But every time I see you type one, it...I don't know what emotion it evokes in me, exactly. But I give a little sigh of relief every time I see one from you. To me, it means you're doing okay.

    Hang in there, buddy. We may not be able to help, but we're with you in spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks man. I appreciate it so much.

    ReplyDelete